A fairly underused tool in Navisworks is the Appearance Profiler, which allows you to set up custom appearance profiles based on sets (search and selection) and property values and use them to colour code objects in the model to differentiate system types and visually identify their status. Appearance profiles can be saved as DAT files and shared with other Autodesk Navisworks users.
My preferred method of using Appearance Profiler is with sets (search and selection), following these steps:
1. Open the Appearance Profile dialog.
2. Click the By Set tab in the Selector area.
3. Select the set you want to use in the list and click Test Selection. All objects that satisfy the criteria are selected in the Scene View.
4. If you are satisfied with the results, use the Appearance area to configure the colour and transparency overrides for your selector.
5. Click Add. The selector is now added to the Selector list.
6. Repeat steps 3 – 5 until you have added all required selectors. Remember, the order of selectors in the list is important.
7. Click Run. The objects in your model are now color-coded.
At any time before or after we run the profiler, if required we can save the selectors to a .dat file for reuse on other Navisworks file sets and by other users. You can reset these overrides by clicking Home Tab> Project Panel > Reset All > Appearances.